List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Where does Linear->sRGB conversion take place?
From:       Erik Hofman <erik () ehofman ! com>
Date:       2022-01-21 13:33:40

On 1/21/22 14:17, James Turner wrote:

>> "QOI is fast. It losslessy compresses images to a similar size of PNG,
>> while offering 20x-50x faster encoding and 3x-4x faster decoding.
>>
>> QOI is simple. The reference en-/decoder fits in about 300 lines of C."
>
> I guess usual things:
> - add an OSG loader (not so hard)
> - audit all places we have which car about file extension for textures
> - check user experience in wider tooling isn't terrible
> - check encoding compatibility with compressed formats
>
> (eg, previews inside editors, does it screw up people using SketchUp, etc)
>
> Those are all solvable, but usually ends up being a lot of work.

The first question is, will it match our needs (which I don't know), or
is it too limited.

There are plugins being made available for several projects:

QOI Plugin installer for GIMP, Imagine, Paint.NET and XnView MP

qoiconv.c converts between png <> qoi

Erik

--
http://www.adalin.com
High performance audio scenegraph and sound simulation.