List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] VR support via OpenXR / osgXR
From:       James Hogan <james () albanarts ! com>
Date:       2021-10-08 10:35:32

Hi Stuart,

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 at 10:11, Stuart Buchanan <stuart13@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 9:59 AM James Hogan wrote:
>> Hi, I don't mean to nag anyone, but in case these haven't been
>> spotted, the merge requests are here:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/simgear/merge-requests/98/
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/flightgear/merge-requests/264/
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/merge-requests/244/
>>

> Thanks for the reminder.  This is Fernando's area of expertise, so I'd
> prefer if he can find the time to review and merge it.  Otherwise I can
> take a look and do so, but I'm unlikely to spot design issues.

Thanks, I'll try and remember to mention him in merge requests in future :)

>> Also, I noticed the nightly builds have appimages available for Linux.
>> These presumably won't support VR as they'll be missing osgXR. I have
>> no idea how they're built, but does anybody have thoughts about
>> whether & how openxr-loader and osgXR could be included in them?
>> Having said that I have no idea how containers are supposed to
>> interact with OpenXR runtimes, so it may be pointless anyway.
>

> We could probably add this to the appimage, but I'm not sure whether it
> would be worth it.  Won't Linux VR users be compiling for themselves?

Possibly. I wouldn't use them personally, I only noticed as they were
mentioned in the September newsletter on the assumption VR is in them
(I've removed that mention now), but I suppose they're of more use to
windows/mac users.

Cheers
--
James Hogan