List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] What is current need for a world scenery rebuild.
From:       Scott <scttgs0 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-04-27 2:48:56

Hi Andi,

It's a slightly different model.

Both approaches are shader-based and leverage OSG PagedLOD.
Experimental Terrain Engine generated mesh at real-time -- converting an
image into a mesh.
WS3.x will leverage Virtual Planet Builder to generate the mesh
fragments as an offline process.   The trade-off exchanges storage space
for very fast loading/rendering.

There is currently no information available, but now that the decision
has been made I agree that a Wiki entry is needed to keep everyone
informed and to build a team of collaborators to make it happen.

Scott