List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] LoD for MP Models
From:       wkitty42 () gmail ! com
Date:       2018-10-27 17:57:41

On 10/26/18 5:14 AM, Richard Harrison wrote:
> [1] because of the lack of radius on the AI/MP model node the values would
> have to be what seemed to be ridiculously large to work >
> [2] with my recent changes to set a default radius for the model in the
> PagedLOD node the size on screen will be approximate rather than accurate,
> unless I can find a way to set the radius accurately based on the model,
> without incurring a time penalty, e.g. after it is loaded.

i think i understand that you are discussing AI/MP in relation to MP craft...
also that these changes would affect the "pure" AI craft...

the "pure" AI craft have a performancedb.xml file in fgdata/AI/Aircraft... i was
thinking that we could add a new data point in this file called "radius" which
would contain the max radius for the craft defined... but as i write this i
remember that the radius for "pure" AI craft is defined in their
fgdata/AI/Traffic/craft/directory/foo.xml file... probably also the
performancedb is not a good place to put this data point??

so the problem i see is where/how to assign the radius of the MP craft... that
should be able to be done in the MP craft's fallback xml file for the fallback
craft or even in the normal crafts' xml files in a similar manner to the "pure"
AI crafts' definitions in their Traffic files...

eg:
       <radius>14</radius>

where the integer value is in meters as in this example for the
AI/Traffic/A/AAL.xml craft definition...

   <aircraft>
     <model>Aircraft/738/738-AmericanAirlines.xml</model>
     <livery>AAL</livery>
     <airline>AAL</airline>
     <home-port>KDFW</home-port>
     <required-aircraft>738-AAL</required-aircraft>
     <actype>738</actype>
     <offset>0</offset>
     <radius>14</radius>
     <flighttype>gate</flighttype>
     <performance-class>jet_transport</performance-class>
     <registration>N626AA</registration>
     <heavy>false</heavy>
   </aircraft>

since we need the radius, we just need a place to put it and have it get loaded
where it can be used...

i see in the c172p that c172p-set.xml is loaded and contains the following...

   <sim>
     blahblah
     <dimensions>
       <radius-m type="double">5</radius-m>
     </dimensions>
     blahblah
   </sim>

perhaps this is what is needed? i'm not sure what the c172p uses this value for
so if it is not in a usable property branch, it may be able to be moved to a
more proper branch where it would be found for each craft loaded...

does that make sense?? would just adding a "radius" property to the craft be the
right thing? craft maintainers could easily add it to their craft... maybe those
without such a property could be forced to a specific radius so it would work
somewhat decently for this feature use...