List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Canvas MapLayer for OpenStreetMap, OpenAIP, VFR Sectionals
From:       Slawek Mikula <slawek () bytebites ! com>
Date:       2017-09-29 16:32:56

Thanks for implementing this !

May I share some remarks about this implementation (and map canvas gui
in general):

- OSM tiles - tiles are bright. plane outline is also white. Hard to
spot plane. Maybe changing plane outline to dark when osm is turned on.
Or maybe there is some way to darken osm tiles by default in renderer ?

- Tiles transparency - it is not applied. maybe there is some method to
apply transparency to png images.

- Option aircraft heading up - some issues with image rotation (OSM &
AIP). Coordinates projection ?

- Other tile provider - is terrain maps by stamen applicable to FG (CC
BY 3.0 <-> GPL) ? e.g.
http://maps.stamen.com/terrain/#12/21.3650/-157.8464 or even
http://maps.stamen.com/terrain-background/#12/21.3775/-157.8794. I think
(looking at tile fetching code) I can implement it as another layer (but
is it needed and do not clutter layer options ?)

Some UI:

- is it possible to make option section collapsible (Display options).
Maybe small button near [out] button e.g. [CFG] and expand/collapse
option panel. Most of the time this data are not needed in sight.

- FIX'es labels are (at least on my system /amd with compatibility gui
layout/) very far from fixes position.

Frankly speaking right now if i have some time, i'm looking into
nasal/xml in order to get more acquainted with FG internals. I offer
some of my time to work on MapStructure extensions. Some simple tasks I
think would be best to try to implement by me. Please advise what can I
look into first.

regards,

--

Slawek