List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Point sprites with AMD (Radeon) devices
From:       Emilian Huminiuc <emilianh () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-09-26 9:50:07

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:32:25 AM EEST Erik Hofman wrote:
> On 09/26/2017 09:59 AM, Emilian Huminiuc wrote:
> >   Point sprites are just what it says on the tin, sprites generated at
> >   each
> >
> > point of the underlying geometry. They are in fact quads.
> > They can be attached to geometry that consists of only points, or to
> > geometry that has the faces filled in. These are not exclusive.
> >
> > What you really meant was if the point sprites are billboarded or not.
>
> I was under the impression point sprites where always billboarded. Guess
> I as wrong.
>
> Erik
Uhm, sorry, yes, _point_ sprites are always screen aligned (not enough coffee
yet, obviously).
What I meant to say is that they are not the only kind of sprites that can be
screen aligned, so basing your conclusion of point sprites being active on
them being billboarded or not is not the right way to go.
(e.g you can get the same behaviour from non point sprites 'lights' with an
undefined normal on the underlying vertices)

Regards,
Emilian