List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] FGFS Launcher -->selecting Parkpositions ???
From:       Florent Rougon <f.rougon () free ! fr>
Date:       2015-10-31 19:29:49

Hello,

"polzer.thomas@t-online.de" <polzer.thomas@t-online.de> wrote:

> 	I even try to FGGo Launcher. Hope FGGo also works for windows7. Have
> a computer with Phython for the new ATC Pie.
>
> 	Oooh. FGGo is only for DEBIAN /Linux users? Not for me as win7 user

Why do you say that? Have you read the home page?

  http://people.via.ecp.fr/~flo/projects/FFGo/

Have you read the installation guide?

  https://github.com/frougon/FFGo/blob/master/docs/INSTALL/INSTALL_en

In a tarball or zip file, these respectively correspond do README.rst
and docs/INSTALL/INSTALL_en (both in text format).

Installation on Windows should be easier in many cases than on Linux or
OS X, because there is no system Python installation that might be
screwed up if you are careless (since there is no system Python at all
on Windows, to the best of my knowledge). I even had a friend do it over
the phone, the only thing she didn't do is run FlightGear from there
because it wasn't installed on her computer... But you can be the first
Windows user to report. :-)

I won't repeat the installation guide here, but basically, you should be
good with the following procedure:

[ In your case, since you apparently already have a Python 3
  installation: if the following procedure doesn't work, maybe you'll
  want to remove the Python 3 installation and reinstall it, making sure
  to enable the options mentioned below. ]

  - Install Python 3.4 or 3.5 from <https://python.org/>, making sure to
    enable the 'Tcl/tk' and 'pip' components in the installer GUI
    (dialog boxes). There is a Windows-specific page for Python at
    <https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html>.

    *Don't change the default value for the Python installation folder*,
    otherwise you are likely to run into permission problems (except for
    old versions of Windows, writing to "Program Files", at least, is
    subject to special restrictions that may cause the
    'pip install FFGo' step to fail).

    If you are not comfortable with the command line ("Command Prompt"),
    it is suggested you choose "Add python.exe to Path". This way, you
    will be able to run pip and ffgo directly at the Command Prompt
    without having to specify their full paths.

  - Open a terminal, aka "Command Prompt" (for this, I think you can use
    the Windows+R shortcut, then enter "cmd.exe" in the box).

  - In this terminal, type:

      pip install ffgo

    Check that it doesn't print any error. You may also run:

      pip install Pillow

    in order to see aircraft thumbnails in FFGo. If this last step
    fails, no problem, FFGo should still work, only without aircraft
    thumbnails.

  - Then, still from the terminal, you should be able to run:

      ffgo

    This should start FFGo. You should probably go to the Help menu and
    read the beginning of the help text, at least. You may also want,
    for more convenience, to create a shortcut to the FFGo executable in
    C:\PythonXX\Scripts where XX is 34 or 35 (Python version without the
    dot).

I've done my best by code analysis, writing and googling for
Windows-specific stuff to allow FFGo to work on every OS where Python
and Tkinter work (i.e., FFGo's main dependencies, Tkinter being Tk
"arranged" for Python). I have received no single report from non-Linux
users (except the friend I guided over the phone), so if there are some
Windows or OS X-specific quirks, you know whom to blame...

If you have problems or specific questions, I suggest to reply in the
FFGo forum thread in order not to pollute this list too much.

 → http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27054

Good luck. :-)

--
Florent