List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] mime-type trouble with DaSH commits to fgaddon
From:       "Edward d'Auvergne" <true.bugman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-28 9:04:01

On 28 September 2015 at 07:24, wlbragg <killaccount@cox.net> wrote:
> Using TortoiseSVN in Windows 10 I created the DaSH directory in fgaddon
> and proceeded to push most of the files. However I am having trouble
> pushing anything that had a mime-type originally set on it. I am getting
> the "pre-commit hook to message"
>
> I tried to create a local working  directory and ran
> $ svn propdel svn:mime-type -R
> on it.
> I also tried deleting the mime-type property manually using the
> TortoiseSVN shell.

Hi Wayne,

This is my fault ;)  The problem is that the XML files are often
marked with the "svn:mime-type = application/xml" property.  This is a
combination of SVN clients relying on a 3rd party library, libmagic,
which has at some point changed its output from "text/xml" to
"application/xml".  What this means is that the text file will be
treated as a binary file, so that in the version control system no
diff will be produced.  This is problematic for version control, to
say the least!  I talked about this issue in a few threads:

    [Flightgear-devel] The FGAddon svn:mime-type property - nothing,
"application/xml", or "text/xml"? (
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.games.flightgear.devel/77270 )
    [Flightgear-devel] FGAddon repository backend optimisation -
proposal for the elimination of the svn:mime-type property for all XML
files. ( http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.games.flightgear.devel/77365 )
    [Flightgear-devel] FGAddon svn repository pre-commit scripts for
catching svn:mime-type. (
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.games.flightgear.devel/77606 )

The point is that this non-ideal SVN client situation is now being
blocked by a pre-commit repository hook script (we are also blocking
the executable flag in a separate hook script).  Your use of "svn
propdel svn:mime-type -R" should have fixed things.  What happens if
you type:

$ svn pl -R

In the new DaSH directory, you should see nothing.  If not, maybe try
the propdel command again.  In case there is an issue with your local
copy, you could also try:

$ svn cleanup
$ svn pd svn:mime-type -R
$ svn pl -R
$ svn ci

If this doesn't work, we'll have to find out if TortoiseSVN is the
problem.  For my own software projects, I always recommend the SlikSVN
command line tools (see
http://www.nmr-relax.com/windows_devel.html#svn_download ).
Subversion on the command line is so incredibly simple to use (
http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGAddon#Subversion ), that a GUI
unnecessarily complicates things.  Maybe I'll remove TortoiseSVN from
the FGAddon wiki article and suggest SlikSVN instead (
http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGAddon#Preparation ).

Regards,

Edward