List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Sun below horizon
From:       Tim Moore <timoore33 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-13 8:37:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

This seems like a reasonable approach, given the scenery-building process,
and the transition between the first two LODs should be relatively
seamless. In this approach I think you would want to bake the roads and
stuff into a texture for the whole tile for those LODs that don't include
the polygonal features.. At lower LODs there will be popping, but maybe
those will be off in the fog.

It's much harder, if not impossible, to do seamless LOD transitions with an
irregular triangle network than with a regular grid. However, we have a
hard requirement for perfect terrain borders on runways (which I
understand) and roads and other vector features (which I don't :-) )
Thorsten is referring to a suggestion of mine to represent the terrain as a
regular grid and "paint" the vector features into a texture generated at
runtime for the appropriate LOD.

Tim