List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Report: Compiling FlightGear v3.2.0 for the first time
From:       Saikrishna Arcot <saiarcot895 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-07 21:11:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Ubuntu doesn't use lib and lib64 to differentiate between the binaries. Debian and \
derivatives (including Ubuntu) are moving towards storing libraries in \
/usr/lib/<system-arch-triplet> to adapt for other architectures. Therefore, libraries \
will be installed in either /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu or /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.

CMake (which OpenSceneGraph uses) doesn't seem to have that change included in yet, \
and installs libraries to /usr/lib regardless of architecture. There is a fix for \
this, however, which is included in Debian's version 3.2.1-2 and above.

On Tuesday, October 07, 2014 20:54:02 Durk Talsma wrote:
> Hi Curt,
>

> Yeah, I'm still not sure what happened. Usually ubuntu is fairly
> consistent in separating lib and lib64. Also, subsequent builds of OSG
> were installed in /usr/local/lib64, so really have no clue how I managed
> to end up with an OSG build in /usr/local/lib. I don't recall using any
> specific cmake directive. Anyway, the problem is solved now.
>
> Cheers,
> Durk
>
> On 07/10/14 01:03, Curtis Olson wrote:
> > Hi Durk,
> >
> > This probably won't account for everything, but compilers do not like
> > to mix 32 bit and 64 bit objects.  By convention, stuff in /usr/lib is
> > 32 bit and stuff in /usr/lib64 is 64 bit.  So if you were doing a 64
> > bit build (default on a 64 bit machine) and you only had the 32 bit
> > OSG libraries installed for some reason, I could definitely see the
> > cmake system refusing to use them.
> > When this stuff gets mixed up, it definitely causes grief and head
> > scratching (at least it does for me.) :-)
> >
> > Usually if you install a 64 bit system, you have to go out of your way
> > to request the 32 bit version of the library packages be installed,
> > and visa versa for 32 bit systems.  But if you build stuff yourself
> > and copy it around, sometimes that's where I've gotten myself in trouble.
> >
> > Curt.

Saikrishna Arcot