List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    [Flightgear-devel] fgviewer preview
From:       James Turner <zakalawe () mac ! com>
Date:       2013-01-31 17:13:46

Hi,

I've just pushed some model-loader tweaks, to support the same 'no preview' tags \
which FGRun supports, for viewing models. Currently only 'fgfs --fgviewer' mode sets \
the requisite flag, 'fgviewer' probably should but I need to check with Mathias \
what's a suitable way to control it, since I guess always-on may not be desired.

The changes hide / omit mesh objects which are tagged 'nopreview'; especially, \
Rembrandt-related lighting volumes are skipped. This is important since otherwise the \
light volumes confuse osgViewer's bounding-box computation, and hence the rotation \
centre and initial scale of the model are very wrong.

With the changes, --fgviewer mode is usable again with the c172p, f-14b at least.

Now, the big question - I was looking at this to restore the Mac launcher's preview \
mode. I could cherry pick these commits to the release branch, but I want to be \
cautious, since the model loader is kind of fundamental :) All the code is guarded \
with an 'if (previewMode)', so I am reasonably confident it can't regress anything \
else.

Or I can wait until 2.10 is out, and then cherry pick to the branch to make a 2.10.1 \
for Mac with working preview mode - that would be the paranoid solution!

Comments / feedback?

James