List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    [Flightgear-devel] model-combined.eff for Atmospheric Light Scattering
From:       Renk Thorsten <thorsten.i.renk () jyu ! fi>
Date:       2013-01-25 7:58:16

I've managed to adapt the model ubershader for Atmospheric Light Scattering in the \
last few days. The results look pretty nice (performance consumption is probably not \
so nice though):

http://users.jyu.fi/~trenk/pics/IAR80-sunrise.jpg

So now we can have atmospheric light scattering skydome, ground fog, sunrise light \
and in addition nice airplane reflection and bump effects. The files are now with \
Emilian for some more testing, but should appear on GIT soon.

The fine print is: This is the *only* model shader effect I will support because \
maintaining the framework is a lot of work, and every shader adds to the load. This \
isn't a limitation for what we can do, as model-combined.eff can, as far as I know, \
do everything one would like to do with a model, i.e. it has reflection map, dirt \
map, normal map and light map.

But it means airplane creators have to use this effect rather than reflect.eff or \
reflect-bump-spec.eff (or what other combinations we have) for this to work, so if \
the plane doesn't declare model-combined.eff, it will still not work in atmospheric \
light scattering.

Even for planes which do declare this effect, normal mapping still requires to \
generate tangents and binormals, and the <generate> tag resides airplane-side. So \
airplane-side, a <generate>-statement with a technique number 4 has to be added as \
well (apparently it can't be done effect side as FG crashes when the mapping is not \
properly defined, I don't know details).

So, like Rembrandt, making model shading work in Atmospheric Light Scattering \
requires action from airplane maintainers, I can't do all that's needed, and it \
doesn't work out of the box. Please consider updating airplanes as soon as the shader \
arrives on GIT!

* Thorsten