List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Slave flightgear as external view to monitor traffic
From:       Mathias =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fr=F6hlich?= <Mathias.Froehlich () gmx ! net>
Date:       2013-01-20 13:29:40

Hi,

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:03:07 Wolfram Wagner wrote:
> We have the idea to use flightgear to display the external view onto the
> airport for OpenRadar. (OpenRadar Version 2)
>
> This is something that would add a necessary grade of realism and would
> make ATCing more attractive.
>
> As it is possible to use flightgear as view slave for another fg
> instance, this seems to be possible.
>
> I think I need an invisible airplane, position it a the tower position
> and tell it, where to look to. Is there a documentation that helps me?
> I guess there is a protocol that I have to use, once I have started the
> flightgear instance.
As of today, you can send some udp messages and run flightgear with the
external fdm. That's a pretty simple packet format.
Details better looked up into the code.

I believe Erik has at some time added a more flexible packet format that is
also able to set some properties and freely configurable. Details from him.

And finally fgviewer is not at the point where this is already usable as the
viewer is not complete and the code I am talking about is not yet in a usable
state. But If you have just a single configured viewpoint this already works by
adding the apropriate hla objects and attaching the viewer to them.
In the long term this is probably the viewer to use as it is designed to be
used in an environment like this.

Greetings

Mathias