List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Texturing - some opinions please
From:       Stuart Buchanan <stuart13 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-24 8:44:16

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
>> I see no reason to include multiple options of the same texture if one
>> could do just fine. It's just a matter of removing them from the xml
>> file (or comment hem out).
>
> I take the lack of other responses as silent agreement and will proceed as I see fit then.

I've been taking a bit of a break from significant FG work, but this
seems reasonable to me.

Using the alpha channel of the texture to store additional information
(color shift information, or possibly a mask for procedural snow?)
seems reasonable.  We could possibly address the user-friendliness by
having some procedure to "compile" two texture files into one.

BTW - we also have the alpha channel of the object mask to play with,
if we need something else in the C-space.

-Stuart