List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Trying to get more performance out of the 3Dclouds!
From:       Stuart Buchanan <stuart13 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-17 22:27:16

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Stuart Buchanan  wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> I suggest we default the impostors to be switched off by default.
> That's a trivial
> change to line 72 of cloudfield.cxx.  I don't know if that impacts the
> perf improvements that Matthias is seeing.
>
> I'm also happy to have this left until after the 2.6.0 release.

Now the release branch has been created, I've committed
these changes to simgear/next, flightgear/next and
fgdata/master.

The Impostors are switched off by default.  Unfortunately, one of
the side-effects of switching them on is that some clouds will
"jump" into existence, caused by an impostor being generated
while the cloud is out of range, and not being re-generated (or
switched off) until the cloud is well within range.

If you want to use them,you will need to set
/sim/rendering/clouds3d-use-impostors=true
_before_ generating any clouds (e.g. from the command-line).

There are also a number of properties under /sim/rendering/
to set the LoD and impostor ranges. I've set them such that
a typical scatter layer of cumulus under Global weather will
generate ~20 Impostors, and ~200 lower level LoD nodes for
some 3000 clouds.

Feedback welcome as always.

-Stuart