List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Problems with compiling Flightgear
From:       Mathias =?iso-8859-1?q?Fr=F6hlich?= <Mathias.Froehlich () gmx ! net>
Date:       2011-09-24 7:52:58

Hi,

On Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:07:48 Jason Cox wrote:
> I am having an issue with compiling the lattest git version due to a
> lack of a libhal on my system
>
> after check the web site for libhal
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal) I found that it now in
> maintenance mode and they are switching to udisk,upower as a
> replacement.
>
> This in turn make lib hal unsupported on my system as Gentoo has already
> gone to upower and disabled both hal and upower on the same system.
>

> is there any plans to move over?

Well, it is pretty straight forward to move to libudev - which would be the
right replacement for the libhal stuff we use at this place. The required udev
calls are pretty obvious replacements for the libhal ones ...

>From my point of view, we could just switch over from libhla to libudev. Just
because only a small set of now ancient distributions out there which do not
have libudev but have libhal. Also hal was already maked obsolete and officially
replaced by libudev at the time we gained this event device implementation on
linux.
Any objections? Thorsten? Do you need that for anything just knowing about hal
but not udev?

Mathias