List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] OSG + vrml plugin
From:       Mathias =?iso-8859-1?q?Fr=F6hlich?= <Mathias.Froehlich () gmx ! net>
Date:       2011-05-23 6:17:58

Hi Curt,

On Sunday, May 22, 2011 18:33:22 Curtis Olson wrote:
> Sounds strangely familiar! :-)  Is there a particular minimum dev version I
> could find this patch in?  I've been hanging around with v2.9.7 of OSG here
> because of compatibility problems of the newer versions.  It looks like
> there is some IndexedLineSet references in the 2.9.9 version of the code --
> is that the patch you are talking about?
Probably yes. svn log shows that this patch must have happened somewhere
before 2.9.8.

> > What kind of CFD are you doing?
>
> We are using Fluent, although I'm not directly involved in the CFD portions
> of the project, just trying to help visualize the end result with
> FlightGear.
Visualize with flightgear! Okay?!
I would expect ensight, paraview or something the like for this job, but
flightgear.

> What CFD are you using?
Well, we develop the visualization for PowerFLOW. That is a Lattice Boltzman
code that is made from EXA in Boston. So, I for myself have never set up a CFD
myself, but I have seen plenty of datasets that make our product, PowerVIZ,
crash :).
No, seriously, we do the visualization software part...

BTW: I will be at our cooperation partner EXA in Boston this week. And
starting from today, we will attend at the NAFEMS world conference in Boston.
Plenty of talks about CAE and besides. Also plenty CFD stuff there. I have
never been at such a NAFEMS event - so let's see what they do :)

> It would be kind of cool to work out
> a generalized approach for generating streamlines around our models at
> different attitudes and configurations (gear up/down, flaps, etc.) and
> then develop some system to pick the closest streamline model.  Maybe it
> would be a job for nasal since the conditions for each model and related
> sets of streamlines could be wildly different.
Ok, you want to have a precomputed set of streamlines for different conditions
and dynamically switch between them.

So what are you using with fluent for computing the streamlines? Or which
visualization do you use with fluent?

Somehow offtopic, but I was often thinking about setting up OpenFOAM, which is
open source and available for all of us, with some of our probably too simple
3d models and try to compute the aerodynamic tables for the fdm. In the whole
knowledge how difficult this is and which problems and errors can happen there,
It would be just interresting to see if these have something in common with
the nunmbers we use for flying :).

Greetings

Mathias