List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Local Weather:  Clouds culled and redrawn
From:       thorsten.i.renk () jyu ! fi
Date:       2011-03-28 11:26:09

Hi Cathy,

> Let me know if you'd like some performance tests.
>
> My system is relatively old and slow.  Without local weather on, no
> shadows, no 3D clouds, and no material shaders, I typically get frame
> rates around 20.  With no local weather, shadows on, 3D clouds on,
> material shaders on, I get 2 - 4 fps.  Material shaders and 3D clouds
> both cause big hits to frame rate.

Hm, it'd be interested if you can run light cloud configurations at all
with decent framerates.

I'm fairly certain that some multilayer overcast cloud configs will mean
instand death for your system, but the ones with relatively low cloud
count (say, higher pressure, morning flights to keep convective clouds
down or island hopping, relatively low visible range ~15 - 20 km, maybe
also no detailed clouds) might be easier on your system than the standard
layers.

Cheers,

* Thorsten