List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Optimal desktop processor/graphic card
From:       Arnt Karlsen <arnt () c2i ! net>
Date:       2010-09-15 13:24:10

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:29:42 +0200, fierst42@zonnet.nl wrote in message
<4C909206.1080205@zonnet.nl>:

> Op 11-09-10 19:13, Leonardo Fabian Grodek schreef:
> > Hi,
> > I'm planning to buy a new desktop PC and I want to be sure I will
> > be able to run FG smoothly (I may also be doing some video editing,
> > but that's for another forum).
> > Which processor/graphic card will be the optimal combination,
> > without braking my bank account? I was thinking on an Intel i5
> > (dual core or quad core?) Do I need the i7 series? For the graphics
> > I'm thinking about the ATI Radeon HD 5670 or 5770; the 5770 is $100
> > more expensive, do I really need it? Are cheaper cards enough?

..the big deals are, "How much paint can it pour?", and "What can
it do at the same time?", which would have you look at the iron's
hardware configuration and its performance numbers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Radeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units
Disclaimer: I have a few pci and agp 9250's, a 9800 and a X850XT PE,
both 8xAGP.  I got ~5fps at 2048x1536@24bps on my first 9250 in a
2xAGP slot with the xorg radeon driver and an AMD k6-2 450MHz cpu
back in the FGv1 days, too busy now with big oil litigation.

..try 4850 and up, these were high-end 2 or 3 years ago and are sold
cheaply now, and I understand both open source drivers radeon: ...
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram
and radeonhd has caught up with that hardware:
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd:feature
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

.."which goes where":
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Radeon

..UMS vs KMS:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Radeon
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-22617.html

> Make sure you have enough memory too. At least 4GB and a 64b OS seems
> nice. I am pretty sure the Core-i5 would do nicely. You can tell fgfs
> to use multiple CPU's in preferences.xml (look for 'multi' and read
> the comment in the file).

..i5 and i7 offers "hyperthreading", which means 2 threads per core.
HT goes way back, to "high end" 478 pin single core P4's.

..some Atom cpu's also offers 2 cores, and with HT, which means
4 threads per cpu.

..what else is out there, AMD 6 cores, how many threads?

> I would be suspicious of the ATI cards because there have been
> problems (see forum), but I am not fully up to date with the latest
> status. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

..if you want to go with open source drivers, you need ATI cards.
(Or Intel's.)
ATI/AMD just like Nvidea has closed source drivers with the common
closed source code problems, then ATI cards are also supported by
open source radeonHD by Novell's team, and by X.org's own radeon
driver, the latter 2 are essentially racing each other and ATI,
so you may want to install all 3 drivers and feed all 3 teams bug
reports, to speed up support for what you buy. ;o)
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeatureUMS
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature (KMS)
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Radeon