List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] simgear error
From:       Volker Lukas <vlukas () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-03-23 23:58:05

Hi,

On Sunday 23 March 2008, Csaba Halász wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Volker Lukas <vlukas@gmx.de> wrote:
> >  The following is a list of source files and the headers which have to be
> >  included additionally in that source file because the file uses
> > functions like strlen, atoi, memcmp... declared in one of the headers:
> >
> >  Simgear:
> >  simgear/io/sg_file.cxx - <string.h>
> >  simgear/io/sg_serial.cxx - <stdlib.h> <string.h>
> >  simgear/misc/strutils.cxx - <string.h>
> >  simgear/misc/tabbed_values.cxx - <stdlib.h>
> >  simgear/screen/RenderTexture.cpp - <string.h>
> >  simgear/screen/shader.cpp - <stdlib.h> <string.h>
> >  simgear/screen/TestRenderTexture.cpp - <stdlib.h>
> >
> >  Flightgear:
> >  src/Airports/dynamicloader.cxx - <stdlib.h>
> >  src/Airports/runwayprefloader.cxx - <stdlib.h> <string.h>
> >  src/Airports/runways.cxx - <stdlib.h>
> >  src/FDM/JSBSim/input_output/FGfdmSocket.cpp - <string.h>
> >  src/FDM/YASim/yasim-test.cpp - <stdlib.h> <string.h>
> >  src/Main/util.cxx - <stdlib.h>
>
> Since these are C++ files, I recommend using cstdlib/cstring unless
> there is some problem with doing that.
I agree and would favour your approach. I want to make just one comment: The
headers of the form <cname> are not required to place all names in the global
namespace. So if for example <cstring> is used as opposed to <string.h>, you
have to also qualify names with the namespace "std", i.e. using "std::strlen"
as opposed to just "strlen". At least if you want to be as portable as
possible. As far as I can see, there are some places in Flightgear where
functions like strlen are not properly qualified or brought in scope via
other means. However, I do not know a real C++ implementation where the
mentioned practice is actually required, so this comment does not mean I
oppose your recommendation. I just wanted to make clear why I have chosen to
suggest the <name.h> forms of the headers.