List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] OT: Open Source 3d video card
From:       Dave Martin <fgfslists () cyfinity ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-01-26 4:17:23

On Wednesday 26 Jan 2005 03:33, Oliver C. wrote:
> This might be very interesting for people who are looking
> for a new 3d video card with full open source drivers:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/4622

> 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d

I'm buying one when they reach market :-)

But thats only to find out what they're really like.

The cards are to be powered by Xilinx Spartan III FPGA cores. Now, I'm told,
the top of the range Spartan III has 5 Million transistors on (90nm) die.

A quick comparison with the first generation GeFarce with 23 Million on die
and things don't look so good.

While the cards should be reasonably capable - I wouldn't expect better than
Geforce (1) performance. (and hence FlightGear might be a stretch for this
card).

Dave Martin.