List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Re: Scene brightness	1.9, 1.10
From:       "Jim Wilson" <jimw () kelcomaine ! com>
Date:       2003-08-30 1:30:54

Lee Elliott <leee@spatial.freeserve.co.uk> said:

> Are there any efficient ways to add the moon as a light source?

That seems like it'd be easy enough.  It could still be handled as a single
light source (switch to moon angle when it rises at night) which would only be
slightly wrong.

> Also, the light level should never drop to 0,0,0 because of starlight (I'll
> not mention Olber's paradox here;)

Except on stormy near new moon nights.

> I seem to recall that our eyes effectively become more monochromatic as the
> light level drops.  Something to do with rods & cones, I think.  One type is
> more sensitive to different colours and the other type is more sensitive to
> light levels (I can't remember which way aound it is).  The upshot is that
> when light levels are high enough for the colour sensitive cells to work we
> see a colour 'image' but as the light level drops we see a more monochromatic
> image because the colour cells stop working and we only get input from the
> light sensitive ones.  Is there a way of dynamically adjusting the colour
> saturation, or achieving a similar effect?

You already get that effect to some degree by reducing light level in the
opengl.  It is possible that it happens in human eyes at a different rate than
you'd get anyway by reducing the light source intensity,  but I'm not sure how
you can reduce color saturation in textured objects.

> Also, also, if you could possibly find a way of introducing up-lighting when
> passing over towns/built-up/etc. from the texture types...  that would be
> sooo cool;)

If we had a method of introducing emission to scenery polys on the fly...that
might work.  Been thinking about this for models as a solution for lighting
cockpits, bridges and buildings.

Best,

Jim