List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-devel] Packaging data files
From:       "Jim Wilson" <jimw () kelcomaine ! com>
Date:       2003-08-27 2:02:39

"Curtis L. Olson" <curt@flightgear.org> said:

> This is dangerous though ...
>
> - it will be hard to track plib changes (or easy to miss plib
>   changes.)
>
> - sometimes the loaders are dependent on the internals of a particular
>   development version of plib, so we might end up with our code only
>   being able to build against a really specific version of plib.

It's been a few months since I looked at the code, but it seemed as though we
might be able to do a simgear ac3d loader in a way that would avoid these
kinds of problems.

FWIW I believe torcs uses their own loader, although IIRC they have extended
the ac3d format some (IMO not a good idea).

This is dangerous, I agree, but it might be worth looking into.  We could
really improve the appearance of our models by having greater control over the
optimization steps that as mentioned on the list earlier, Steve Baker did not
accept a patch for from David.  We could also look into some improvements to
the shading that may or may not be of interest to the plib project.  There is
more potential gain here than just handling archives.  Maybe we could
experiment with the idea and see how it goes (using a config switch)?

Best,

Jim