List:       flashrom
Subject:    [flashrom] Any users of the flashrom_*_info querying functions in libflashrom API?
From:       Nico Huber <nico.h () gmx ! de>
Date:       2022-05-23 23:09:42

Hi folks,

for a while now, we have some functions in the libflashrom API to query
information about supported devices and such. The original patch[1] left
some questions open. And, alas, as there was some broken code and no
feedback, parts of it were dropped.

So, I wonder if there are any users of this API already? Anything that
might break if we change it?

Why I'm picking this up is that there are some issues with the design.
For instance, the exposed structs form an ABI that might need versioning
if somebody wants to link a shared library. And the cleanup part of the
API is too simple, i.e. flashrom_data_free() doesn't allow anything but
a shallow free().

There's also an associated ticket[2].

Nico

[1] https://review.coreboot.org/c/flashrom/+/34363