List:       flashrom
Subject:    [flashrom] Re: Release preparations
From:       Greg Troxel <gdt () lexort ! com>
Date:       2022-03-21 22:04:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 at 20:04, Nico Huber <nico.h@gmx.de> wrote:
>> There is also one big general issue: we need to maintain two build
>> systems now. We can't use GNU make only, because nobody knows what
>> the requirements of the Meson users are.
>
> My vote would be to remove the *Makefile*, and move 100% to Meson --
> the modern build-system that's *already* being used by the packagers
> for all the supported architectures and OS builds on dozens of
> distros.

FWIW, the pkgsrc build is currently using the Makefile.   I use that to
get flashrom on NetBSD-9 amd64 to use with apu2.

More importantly, the instructions in the README in flashrom 1.2 do not
mention meson and say to use make.

Similary,
  https://www.flashrom.org/Downloads#Installation_from_source
does not mention meson.
(It also doesn't mention that specifically GNU make is required, vs BSD
make, but that's pretty common to omit.)

(I'm not claiming that building with meson wouldn't work, but just
pointing out that "all packaging system builds use meson" is incorrect.)

So if there is any talk of removing makefiles, there needs to be a
release with formal support for meson including it being the standard
approach in REAMDE and a deprecation warning.