List:       flashrom
Subject:    [flashrom] Re: Release preparations
From:       Richard Hughes <hughsient () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-03-21 16:23:27

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 at 15:49, Nico Huber <nico.h@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Also I understand Meson already got into v1.2? I thought the next version
> > is based on the previous?
> Yes, but I hope that doesn't mean we can't revert problems :)

I don't think adding a smiley face makes it any less insulting to the
people that added, and *continue to maintain* the meson feature.

> The `meson.build` made it into v1.2, that is right but turned out to
> cause more trouble than was expected. OS package maintainers quickly
> adopted it without any second thought.

Have you pondered why that might be? OS package maintainers usually
don't change the way they build packages without a good reason.

> And then all their packages had
> issues because the `meson.build` did some things wrong (no version in-
> formation in the binary for instance, no man page in the package, CLI
> options not working).

Are there any issues outstanding? All this talk of "removing things"
does not give me the warm-and-fuzzies for building things on top of
the flashrom project.

Richard