List:       flashrom
Subject:    [flashrom] Re: flashrom on NetBSD 8 and apu2?
From:       Greg Troxel <gdt () lexort ! com>
Date:       2021-04-03 14:05:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> writes a year ago (in March of 2020):

> I have a PC Engines apu2d4 running NetBSD 8 (amd64), and would like to
> update coreboot/etc. on it.  I searched the list (perhaps not well) and
> didn't find any reports of success, although I realize things are
> generally expected to work so success might well go unreported.
>
> I am using flashrom 1.1 as built from pkgsrc.
>
> I was able to read the existing bios without issues as:
>   flashrom --programmer internal -r 20200301-readflash.rom
>
> Before I try to write, I am wondering if anyone has successfully done an
> apu2 bios update with flashrom under NetBSD 8 amd64?

I didn't hear back from anyone, and ended up with a second apu2, that I
felt comfortable trying this on before it was in service.

  Under NetBSD 9, using flashroom 1.2 to update an apu2 was
  straightforwardly successful.  (I had to override the name match just
  as the instructions say, but that's not related to host os for
  flashrom.)
    flashrom -w apu2_v4.13.0.4.rom -p internal:boardmismatch=force

  I used
    pcictl /dev/pci0 write -d 24  0x6c 0x580ffe10
  to force a cold boot, adapted from FreeBSD instructions.

and in the end this was an entirely unexciting experience, for which I
am grateful.