List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: URI matching [Was [Awfully OT] Who can explain this address scheme?]
From:       "Chris Tobkin" <tobkin () intersec ! com>
Date:       2001-04-25 22:48:26

Actually, it's used/interpreted as the username to use when prompted for
authentication.  It automatically put it into the username field when
the authentication dialog box pops up in netscape, but it does not in
IE.  IOW, a long version of this with bells and whistles would be:
http://username:password@hostname:port/path/file.cgi?attribute1=value1&a
ttribute2=value2  The @ separates the authentication information from
the location piece.  (FYI, in the versions tested on my laptop here, the
browser did not send the username without the user being prompted for a
valid username/password, so it's not being necessarily used as a
tracking device.)

// Chris
tobkin@intersec.com