List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Firewall-1 Rulebase Maximum Size
From:       "Otto Goencz" <Otto.Goencz () internetprivacysolutions ! com>
Date:       2001-01-30 23:09:30

I somewhat disagree with your assessment of the size of the rule base. The
following is the Nokia's setup of the rule base size for performance testing
purposes:

"The rule base of FireWall-1 device under test was configured with 100 rules
all following the
general form "network x to network y, drop, no logging." After the 100 th
rule, we added the
necessary rules to allow traffic between Networks A and B. This way, any
rule base check needed to
traverse 100 rules before traffic was allowed by the 101 st rule and after.
A rule base of 100 rules is
Check Point's standard for test purposes."

The memory error message "Unable to allocate 68 bytes of memory" is related
to the state table size and not to the size of the rule base. Depending on
the CP FW-1 version, the available memory, the OS platform, etc, the size of
the memory allocated for the firewall ranges between 3-16 MB. The new Nokia
package includes 256MB memory and the 3.3 IPSO version, which by default
will allocate 16MB memory for the firewall. On the NT and Solaris platform
it is 5MB, if my memory (pun intended) servers me right. The firewall kernel
keeps 2MB and rest is pretty much left to the state table. On a default
installation of the FW-1 it actually isn't that hard to run out of memory
during testing of the web servers with Load Runner, or similar load testing
application. Knowing the fact that the refreshing the state table takes
about a minute and the size of memory needed for each connections, one could
calculate the connection "break" point for the firewall. Not to mention the
default number of connections allowed in the state table, but it's another
aspect of the FW-1.
Regards,

Otto