List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: State of Security
From:       "Rick" <Rick () UKSysops ! com>
Date:       2000-12-05 21:41:02

Dear Sir,

I dont know if its any better, but is it any worse? It has become more
important, both as a result of the changing uses of the internet, and
because of media hype about the internet itself. One is, however, related to
the other. As the use of the internet has changed, so do the requirements of
security systems. IMHO, the main drive behind this has been the trend
towards internet shopping, with all its intrinsic unreliabilities. As a
method of transfer of privelidged information, the internet fails miserably,
and perhaps this is more what needs to be understood. The internet was,
after all, designed as an information exchange, not as a world wide shopping
mall. However, it seems popular currently, which brings attention to it (and
its failures) and the media has been hot off the mark to radically over
exagerate "break-ins" and "security risks" on such sites (normally with the
help of some kind explaination from a reverted "hacker" who tells the anchor
man how easy it is). Thus, the public frieks out, sites have to buy better
security gear with better support licences, and the security companies are
only too willing to help them find "the best sollution to fit their
business".

Perhaps this is because all the security industry can ever do is react; once
an attack is made its patched out of systems, but its still a reaction, and
thats a news story, and news stories sell papers. The media hype is here in
abundance, and maybe that public perception of security technology lagging
behind the hackers (got no time for hackers calling themselves crackers)
ability to find new holes is rubbing off, and Information security is being
percieved as getting worse.

IMHO, because all we can do is react, we are no worse off today than we were
yesterday, or last year. The Information that is being protected has
changed, however, and with it has brought the problems...

Sorry for the overly long winded, obfuscated and parambulatory email.

Rick

--------
If this email makes no sense, delete it, its a  tuesday .
--------