List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: frame relay...
From:       "Alvaro Rodriguez" <arodriguez () cofac ! com ! uy>
Date:       1999-11-25 2:55:16

Hello all,
Frame relay is like any other packet switched network, frames can be sniffed
and decoded by someone who has management access to the packet switches (or
has broke into them, which is indeed a possibility).
I think that any corporation considering to run its network over FR **must
encrypt the payload**.
The issue can become even more critical when using international connections
as your frames will (possibly) cross many carriers, and... who can trust
blindly ?

As per hacking intents, if the technology used by the service provider is
mature and proved it can never happen that a hacker could essay a spoofing,
man-in-the-middle or something like attack.
However, if the access switch is not properly engineered or its architecture
is like that of a 'classical' packet switch, it could be overloaded with a
stream of small packets that can raise processor utilization and render the
whole access switch unusable. (This is more a limitation in the equipment
than in the technology itself, although I have seen this effect by myself).

Hope this helps.
brgds / Alvaro.