List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: firewall for a Macintosh?
From:       "Richard Johnson" <rdump () river ! com>
Date:       1998-02-27 23:43:13

At 06:43 -0700 on 2/27/98, Mitch Gorsha wrote:
> I should probably duck after asking, but is anyone aware of a firewall
> product that can be run on a Macintosh? Either with OS/8 or with Rhapsody?
>
> thanks ... [mpg]

Peter Lewis wrote a Socks v4 application ($50 shareware) for MacOS, though
it apparently hasn't been updated in a bit.  I had good luck with it when I
tried it out just over a year ago.
<http://www.share.com/share/peterlewis/socks/index.html>.

fwtk should be OK on Rhapsody (either PPC or Intel) with minimal tweaks,
but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

If you're willing to run Net/OpenBSD on your 68k Mac hardware, or linux
(MkLinux or PPClinux) on your PPC Mac hardware, fwtk should do fine.
That's the route I took.

Richard