List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Re: Virus Scanner
From:       Ryan Russell/SYBASE
Date:       1997-07-30 13:00:16

Why not?

Just have the firewall return a HTML document
that says "please wait while scanning" with
a client-side pull to get the same document
again every 5 seconds.

   Ryan

To: jerry
cc: Firewalls, mccrebsi, pferguso
From: rick@tis.com (Rick Murphy) @ smtp
Date: 07/30/97 08:43:59 AM

At 10:36 AM 7/29/97 -0400, Jerry Huyghe wrote:
>I also forgot the 2nd option (ATTENTION FIREWALL DEVELOPERS! :-)) may be to
>have the firewall send a message to the browser while the file is being
>scanned by the CVP server (such as please wait, checking for viruses) What
>do you think, Rick?
That can't be done by the firewall - the web browser asked for a file and
expects either an OK followed by a data stream or an error code. Without
redefining the HTTP protocol - and getting the browsers to understand your
extension - there's no way to make this work.
 -Rick