List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Re: Virus Scanner
From:       David Harley <harley () icrf ! icnet ! uk>
Date:       1997-07-29 10:26:51

>Maybe your reseller should try to become more informed on viruses. The
>latest NCSA report showed that 80% of virus infections result from
>internet-borne viruses. As people concentrate on floppies, they are
>ignoring the largest point of entry for viruses..the firewall. Think
>about it,...where are your virus infections coming from?

I thought this was a bit suspect. From the NCSA's 1997 survey:

"The most common means of infection was via diskettes which apparently
were responsible for the introduction of viruses in six out of ten
infections. Seven percent of respondents did not know the source oftheir
most recent virus incident or encounter."

The proportion of diskette infections against network-borne infections
(especially attachments) -is- going down, but not that quickly.

--
David Harley                  |              alt.comp.virus FAQ
D.Harley@icrf.icnet.uk        |           & Anti-Virus Web Page