List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: Re: Virus Scanner
From:       Jerry Huyghe <jerry () eliashim ! com>
Date:       1997-07-28 11:56:37

At 11:44 AM 7/28/97 -0400, Paul Ferguson wrote:
>At 11:20 AM 07/28/97 -0400, Jerry Huyghe wrote:
>
>> However, keep in mind that encrypted
>> transmissions are slightly less likely to contain viruses anyway.
>>

>This is what I call a 'gratuitous assertion'. Please provide a
>rationale for this statement. I would argue that encrypted traffic
I kind of expected this, maybe I should have explained my thoughts
better..Which would you be more nervous about finding a virus in:
1) An email with a non-encrypted attachment from someone you don't know.
or
2) An email with a PGP-encrypted attachment from someone you probably know
and trust.

All I am saying is that people who use encryption are more likely to be:
1) known and trusted
2) using data security methods which include good virus protection on their
own system.

As far as encrypted downloads, sites which use these are more likely to be
concerned about data security, and probably use a virus scanner.

>is no less susceptible to contain virus-infected data (executable
>attachments or any other transmittable virus) than unencrypted
Right, they are just as susceptible, but just not quite as likely, in my
opinion and from my experience.

Best Regards,

Jerry Huyghe
Product Manager

eSafe Technologies 			http://www.esafe.com
A division of EliaShim Inc        	http://www.eliashim.com
----------------Intelligent Computer Security-----------------
1 SW 129th Ave, Suite 105  		Phone : 800.477.5177 Ext 18
Pembroke Pines, FL  33027  		Fax   : 954.450.9612