List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Virus Scanner
From:       Pauline van Winsen - Uniq Professional Services <Pauline.van.Winsen () uniq ! com ! au>
Date:       1997-07-28 14:46:23

> Oh, goody. One of my favorite threads.

me too - one the most popular questions i get asked by customers.

> I can't provide any quantitative or qualitative response here, since I
> haven't bothered checking for computer viruses at a firewall, but I can
> certainly offer some opinion.

i'll attach an earlier post to this list on this subject at the
end with my comments. also posted as an addition to one of paul's posts. 8-)

> I am of the school of thought that virus detection should be
> an application which resides on the workstation, not on the
> firewall.

ditto.

cheers,
pauline

Pauline van Winsen                                   pauline@uniq.com.au
Uniq Professional Services Pty Ltd                       www.uniq.com.au
PO Box 70, Paddington, NSW 2021,                      (Sydney) Australia
Phone: +61-2-9380-6360      Fax: +61-2-9380-6416      Pager: 016 287 000
"You'll need a dress for dancing. Unless you're going steady with
someone in the Diplomatic Corps, you won't really need a full-length
ball gown."
   Fashion Sense - The Single Woman - Book 2, Woman's World, circa 1964.