List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Virus Scanner
From:       Basil McCrea <mccrebsi () ina ! de>
Date:       1997-07-25 16:38:17

Hi,

Check Point's FW-1 Ver3.0 includes CVP (Content Vectoring Protocoll) which allows
it to communicate with a virus scanner which also support CVP. We have been trying
to use such a virus scanner. It works and is fine for email or maybe even command
line base ftp but in a browser environment we have problems. What happens is; the
users clicks on his link and gets an hour glass and then nothing more happens until
the scanner is completely finished scanning, which with larger files can take some time
and most users disconnect (or even worse tried again) before they get the menu to save.

When I talk to Checkpoint's reseller in germany I get the feeling that we are the only
ones who consider internet viruses to be a problem. My question is; has anyone else
made any attempts to check for internet viruses and if so how do you do it?

How serious a problem are viruses in internet?

I would appreciate any opinions on the subject.

TIA

Basil