List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: JAVA applets connecting to "servlets"...
From:       Ryan Russell/SYBASE
Date:       1997-07-21 14:11:31

Does anyone know if there are APIs for
applets to look into the proxy fields of,
say, your Netscape config?  Seems that
an applet would only need to know how
to speak to a socks and/or cern
proxy to function.

Even if you only allow certain protocols,
there is the whole covert channel thing,
i.e. passing info back by requesting
certain URLs, or looking up certain
DNS names.

    Ryan

To: beck
cc: firewalls
From: thierry.agassis@bluewin.ch (Thierry AGASSIS) @ smtp
Date: 07/21/97 06:40:02 PM

Thank's Bob.

But the applet has to be aware of the proxy, doesn't it ?
Because it tries to address its server...or do I miss something ?

I meant, to be able to use any applet coming in, as long as its
signature is recognized and the source is trusted.

Any more light ?

Thank's again and best regards !

Thierry A.

P.S: again, please, copy my personnal address, too. I'm not part of the
list due to low bandwidth at home.