List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Two ISP's to one DMZ
From:       marc () sniff ! ct-net ! de
Date:       1997-07-07 15:21:17

Mark Horn asked:
>Is BGP the only answer?  We have several ISP's providing service to us.
> [...]
>One of the providers doesn't want to set up peering with us.  Their claim
>is that you can have redundant ISP's through other methods than setting up
>BGP peering.  When pressed, they've been conspicuously quiet about what
>these other methods are.

I guess, there are reasons, why you can't stop the contract with the
unwilling provider.  You say "several ISP's" ... more than two?
There are ways to set up redundancy, but not as perfect as the BGP
solution. You can use several NIC assigned network, one for each ISP.
Getting out into the internet then is no problem, as long as you use
proxies/caches or NAT (but I don't know any software doing what you need.
May be you have to create your own scripts detecting the dead link and
switching the proxy's address or the NAT Table). Your server needs
several IP addresses and corresponding DNS entries. But because of the
round-robin behaviour (at least BIND is doing so) 1/n of the access
attempts will fail (n: number of your ISP's). If you work with 3 or
more ISP's, I would try the BGP solution with this n-1 ISP's, at least
for the WWW/FTP server.

Regards, Marc
--
Marc Binderberger                                  97076 Wuerzburg, Germany
marc@sniff.ct-net.de                               Powered by FreeBSD ;-)