List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Two ISP's to one DMZ
From:       Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco ! com>
Date:       1997-07-07 10:15:02

At 09:51 AM 07/07/97 -0400, Mark Horn [ Net Ops ] wrote:

>Is BGP the only answer?  We have several ISP's providing service to us.
>We have our own NIC assigned address block, and a NIC assigned AS number.
>We've been trying (for several months) to set up BGP routing between all
>of our providers.  But we've run into trouble.

That's not surprising -- BGP can be hard, depending on the complexity
of the peering policy. It can also be amazingly easy.

>One of the providers doesn't want to set up peering with us.  Their claim
>is that you can have redundant ISP's through other methods than setting up
>BGP peering.  When pressed, they've been conspicuously quiet about what
>these other methods are.

I'd be curious, as well. As I mentioned before, BGP is the de facto
mechanism of exchanging routing information between diverse routing
domains (inter-domain routing) in the Internet. Period.

>Is there another way to set up redundancy between two ISP's without doing
>BGP peering?

No, not really.

- paul

--
Paul Ferguson                                           ||        ||
Consulting Engineering                                  ||        ||