List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: IP Filters?
From:       "Stackpole, Bill" <BSTACKPO () sla ! com>
Date:       1997-07-03 9:55:16

I've never build an access list with more than 50 entries and I've never
noticed any significant performance problems
even on a 2500 series.  There are some techniques you can use to speed
up access list processing.  Remember a Cisco list is exited on the first
true so you can add lines like:

	! TCP or UDP Ports above the last service you are permiting
	!   this is done to speed up the list processing
	access-list 101 deny   tcp any host 255.255.255.255 gt 80
	access-list 101 deny   udp any host 255.255.255.255 gt 19

just before all the specific rules to speed up list processing.

"Simplify - There is no value in complexity, it's too difficult to
manage."
Bill Stackpole, CISSP
Seitel Leeds & Associates          Voice: 206.283.4355
2 Nickerson St.  Suite 201        Email: bstackpole@sla.com
Seattle, Wa 98109