List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re:  RIP vs. OSPF
From:       pomeranz () netcom ! com (Hal Pomeranz)
Date:       1997-07-02 17:10:58

RIP has terrible convergence problems on very meshy networks-- routes
may never stabilize if you lose a critical device.  RIP doesn't support
variable-length subnets either, though I gather this is coming in RIP-2.

On the other hand, OSPF is a _pig_ on core routers in large networks.
There are also interoperability problems still lurking between Cisco
and Bay in my experience.  Is anybody still running mixed-vendor
network fabrics, though?