List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: Remote management of firewalls internationally
From:       "McMahan, Peg" <PMcMahan () v-one ! com>
Date:       1997-07-02 15:53:58

Simple solution: If remote administration is a necessary component, buy
a firewall that has the functionality to it. One has to understand,
however, that there is always the possibility of problems that
absolutely require a user at the console. If considerations aren't made
for incidences in which user intervention is required, then you have to
rethink things.

It's all well and good to have remote admin, it's a nice feature....
however it is silly to think that you can rely on it in all situations.

Adam, you make a good point.

Our support staff has been receiving a good number of calls lately from
people whose firewalls got messed up during recent severe storms... It's
no fun explaining to a person that they can't reach their firewall
remotely if it's sitting in a closet in a remote location, at a single
user prompt needing to be fsck'd because the UPS didn't last as long as
the power outage did.