List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: RIP vs. OSPF
From:       shishir <shishpop () ftp ! com>
Date:       1997-07-02 14:51:26

I am not a routing protocol expert but I can say that RIP and OSPF have dif=
ferent benefits and drawbacks.  OSPF is more complicated but does offer a l=
ot more features like link state, cost, VLSM, quick convergence, etc. Howev=
er, it is CPU intensive and takes a lot of resources.  RIP on the other han=
d is simpler but limited to 15 hops, based on hop counts whether they are T=
1s or 56kbps links.

My $.02

- shishir

>>Reply to your message of 7/2/97 1:04 PM
	>>
	>>Would it be a fair statement that OSPF is now the chosen protocol over R=
IP?
	>>If so, could someone offer any comment on why and which do you think wil=
	>>be the more dominate protocol in the future?
=09