List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Cisco config
From:       Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco ! com>
Date:       1997-03-19 14:35:14

At 03:19 PM 3/19/97 +0100, Kenneth Olsson wrote:

>And I _know_ that a lot of you are using Cisco-routers, so  here it goes:
>
>I repeatly get the following messeges from my CPA1003 (IOS 11.1(5)) router.

Configure 'no service config' to terminate this behavior.

>We don't have any tftp-server in our net and I would like
>to know how to configure the CPA1003 not to try to load
>these files.
>
>And exactly what is 'udp-small-servers' and 'tcp-small-servers'?

These are disabled by default in IOS 11.2 and above.

[snip]

TCP and UDP Small Servers

The small servers are servers (daemons, in Unix parlance) running in the
router
which are useful for diagnostics. Therefore, they are on by default.

The commands for the TCP and UDP small servers are:

service tcp-small-servers
service udp-small-servers

If you do not want your router to provide any non-routing services, you can
turn
them off (using the no form of the above commands).

The TCP small servers are:

 Echo: Echoes back whatever you type. Type the command telnet x.x.x.x echo
 to see.

 Chargen: Generates a stream of ASCII data. Type the command telnet x.x.x.x
 chargen to see.

 Discard: Throws away whatever you type. Type the command telnet x.x.x.x
 discard to see.

 Daytime: Returns system date and time, if correct. It is correct if you are
 running NTP or have set the date and time manually from the exec level. Type
 the command telnet x.x.x.x daytime to see.

The UDP small servers are:

 Echo: Echoes the payload of the datagram you send.

 Discard: Silently pitches the datagram you send.

 Chargen: Pitches the datagram you send and responds with a 72 character
string
 of ASCII characters terminated with a CR+LF.

Replace x.x.x.x with the address of Your Favorite Router. Most routers inside
Cisco run the small servers.

Notes:

     Almost all UNIX boxes support the small servers listed above.
     The router also offers finger service and async line bootp service,
     which can be independently turned off with the configuration global
     commands no service finger and no ip bootp server, respectively.

[snip]

- paul

--
Paul Ferguson                                           ||        ||
Consulting Engineering                                  ||        ||