List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    RE: [NTSEC] ActiveX, MSIE and Quicken
From:       Jerry Mendes <mendes () garnet ! berkeley ! edu>
Date:       1997-02-08 3:05:14

Presumably, one answer is for the firewall companies to write additional
application layer filters for port 80, looking for ActiveX or Java
downloads.  This would make configuration of the firewall a bit more
complex.  Don't know if any of 'em are considering this yet.  Anyone have
any scoop on this?

Jerry Mendes, Principal Consultant
DataComm Insights
150 Seminary Drive
Mill Valley, California  94941

Voice:  415-381-5500
FAX:    415-381-5502
Email:  mendes@garnet.berkeley.edu

At 11:40 PM 2/1/97 -0500, Russ wrote:
>To try and keep this on a Firewalls vein. The tunneling of anything over
>HTTP is, in my opinion, the crappy technology. That goes for Java
>applets or certificate authentication for that matter. I don't like the
>idea of combining diverse tasks within a single channel if its possible
>to avoid it, and it is possible, so the only reason its not being done
>is to USURP FIREWALLS.
_______
Jerry Mendes, Principal Consultant              Voice:   (415) 381-5500
DataComm Insights                               FAX:     (415) 381-5502
150 Seminary Drive                              Email:
mendes@garnet.berkeley.edu
Mill Valley, California  94941