List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Secure Telneting into a internal network
From:       Jeff Simms <jsimms () auracom ! com>
Date:       1997-01-30 13:43:09

Allen D. Harpham wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Whats a safe way to allow people to telnet into a network past a firewall
> from the Internet?
>
> I have a client that if possible, needs to allow employees to dial up a
> local ISP and telnet net into their internal network over the Internet.
>
> We have a packet filtering router setup now, and have proposed adding a
> proxy server in addition to the packet filter.
>
> I have warned them that allowing any telnet sessions in would be a big
> hole in the firewall, but they would like to pursue this further.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA, Allen

Allowing ppl to telnet into your network through the firewall isnt a
security risk as long as the firewall can deal with it.  If the firewall
is using circuit-level gateways, which it should be if its a decent
firewall, and the authentication on inbound access is enforced using
one-time password tokens then their shouldnt be a problem.

Jeff Simms
Network Services Manager
auracom Internet Services