List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Highly available Internet connection
From:       CCCRE.CCULL () capital ! ge ! com
Date:       1997-01-30 12:27:08

     Cisco has a "Hot standby" protocol.  Basically,  2 routers in
     parallel,  when/if one goes down,  the other picks up it's load.  We
     were implementing this at my previous employer,  they were BIG on
     redundency (they called it "diversity").  i think i'd use your
     standard wan link as the main (t1/frame/56,  whatever) and have isdn
     (bri/pri whichever) as a dial backup.....most router/csu combo's
     should support something like this......

     chris cull
     day 281.405.7016
     cccre.ccull@capital.ge.com