List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Highly available Internet connection
From:       "Douglas M. MacFarlane" <madmac () mcs ! net>
Date:       1997-01-30 7:05:54

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Christofer Hoff wrote:

> At 4:40 PM -0600 1/29/97, Starkweather, Mike wrote:
> In many cases, we've provided for similar scenarios without the added cost
> and possible routing/addressing complexities of two routers.  A single
> router does, of course, present a single point of failure, but most of my
> client's find it difficult to justify two $4-5,000 routers and instead
> concentrate on providing HA where it normally fails (at least in their
> eyes) -- at their connection to
> the ingress/gress points to the local loop and to the ISP.

A word of caution - not every CAP provides their own facilities!!!
In many cases in the Chicago suburbs, MFS and TCG resell Ameritec's
local-loop.  So, while it may give the appearance of being on
separate carriers, it really isn't.

My approach in situations like this is to multi-home OC-3.  If the
data-center is located on a corporate campus or co-located with a
large call-center, this isn't too difficult to sell.

That way, when the backhoe gets both sides of one OC-3 to one CO,
you've got your T1's that go to the other CO, provided that not ALL
your fibers were in one pipe!!!

Doug

Douglas M. MacFarlane
Managing Consultant, Network Integration Practice
Interim Technology (888) 948-6252 x6955
madmac@mcs.net