List:       firewalls-gc
Subject:    Re: Highly available Internet connection
From:       Laura_Bohde () prenhall ! com
Date:       1997-01-29 23:20:46

        We have two routers connected to the Internet configured
        identically, as well as two hubs, two firewalls, and two
        hubs on the other side.  Then we installed Black Box
        power on/off switches (one on each router, and one on
        each hub at the other end).  This way we can leave one
        network up and the other powered off.  If any device in
        the "primary" network fails, with a simple phone call
        (our help desk can even do this), one network can be
        powered off and the other powered up.  (this way all
        equipment can actually have the same IP addresses too.)

        Hope this helps -

        Laura